Are Your Personal Possessions Hiding a Plague After a Flood?

As if flooding wasn't bad enough on its own, it often leads to mold damage

If you’ve recently experienced water damage in your Northeast Indiana home, it’ll be imperative to carefully inspect all of your personal possessions that were submerged in the water. This is due to the fact that mold can grow quickly, even if you were able to remove everything from the water almost immediately. Unfortunately, many people fail to notice mold that has grown on their items, walls, and other areas within their home, and this can lead to serious health complications.

What Risks Are Associated With Mold Damage?

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, mold can cause issues such as asthma, allergic reactions, and a variety of miscellaneous respiratory complaints. Although it’s impossible to remove every single mold spore from your indoor environment, you can help control the amount of mold that grows by remaining cognizant of every source of moisture inside of your home. For example, if you discover a leak, you should have this problem fixed immediately to prevent creating an environment that’ll encourage the growth of mold. Additionally, you can reduce your risk of mold exposure by taking steps to eliminate most of the indoor humidity. This can be accomplished by using a dehumidifier, increasing the ventilation in each of your rooms, and placing a special emphasis on venting your bathroom.

Will Mold Exposure Really Make My Family Sick?

Mold is an allergen, and this means that each person will respond to it differently. It’s not unusual for people who are exposed to large quantities of mold to have symptoms such as headaches that they would most likely not equate with mold exposure. Even if you’re not highly sensitive to mold, it’s still possible for you to develop respiratory issues as a result of long-term exposure.

How Can I Deal With Mold?

As previously mentioned, ventilation is one of the most important ways to minimize your risk of developing mold within your home, but it’s also vital to be cognizant of the fact that it can grow virtually anywhere moisture is present. Therefore, if you do have a flood in your house, you’ll need to remove everything as quickly as possible and allow everything to dry thoroughly. Drying and cleaning any wet furnishings, building materials, and surfaces within the first 48 hours will typically prevent the growth of mold, but your personal items such as clothing and stuffed animals may need to be washed or disposed of right away.

Dealing with water and mold damage can be overwhelming, especially if you’ve experienced a large flood. Fortunately, you can receive assistance in Northeast Indiana from Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling. Contact us today to receive a quote.