The Truth About Mold Exposure

Mold has a sneaky way of impacting people’s health without them realizing it! Symptoms including cold, wheezing, coughing, watery eyes and a runny nose might actually be allergic reactions to mold. Let’s take a closer look at the truth about mold exposure.

What is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungi that can exist inside or outside a building. It reproduces quickly by forming spores and spreading through the air. While mold grows best in damp and warm conditions, it can also survive in harsher environments. Outdoors, mold is found decomposing organic matter like dead trees or leaves. Indoors, you might find mold anywhere moist areas are located, including bathroom tiles, underneath sinks or on wallpaper. Basements and kitchens are also prone for growing mold in such places like on paneling, drywall, near pipes or even carpet.

What Medical Problems Can Mold Exposure Create?

Mold is not a toxic or poisonous substance, but it can give off a potential allergen called mycotoxins. For people who are sensitive to irritating substances, mold can produce allergic reactions. Typical symptoms can include watery, itchy or red eyes, runny nose, wheezing or skin irritations like a rash. These reactions can show up immediately after mold exposure or develop after a prolonged period of time around mold.

For children or adults who are extremely sensitive to mold, stronger reactions might be high fever or shortness of breath. Many times, people who work around significant amounts of mold develop these stronger symptoms.

If you believe that you are allergic to mold, it is best to make an appointment with your family doctor. Your personal physician can refer you to an allergist or other specialist to determine if you are allergic to mold or have a mold infection. For workplace mold exposure, you may want to see an occupational health care provider.

How Do You Get Rid of Mold?

Mold remediation can take many forms. While the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) doesn’t have a specific standard for regulating mold in buildings, there are still many things that you can do. First, you should avoid any outside areas that are most likely to have mold in them. This includes wooded areas with dead trees, piles of old grass clippings or compost heaps.

Inside your home, the goal should be to prevent the growth of mold as much as possible. Some simple solutions include controlling the moisture and humidity levels in your house as well as keeping bathrooms and kitchens well ventilated. You can also remove some visible mold by wiping down surfaces with soap and water or diluted bleach. For larger mold issues, you can contact Paul Davis Restoration directly to answer your questions and help you find effective solutions.