Don’t Plug In Your Electric Blanket Until You Read This

There is no better ritual for beating the winter blues than wrapping yourself in a warm electric blanket and sipping hot cocoa. However, like many good things in life, the comfort of your electric blanket comes with risks. Here are the most common hazards associated with electric blankets and what you can do to stay safe and warm this season.

Electric Blanket Burns and Fires

Every electrical appliance carries a risk of starting fires, and electric blankets are no exception. For example, in 2013, an overheated electric blanket was responsible for $90,000 worth of destruction to a California home. People getting burned by electric blankets is less common, but it still happens, which is why you should never fall asleep with your blanket plugged in. The best way to limit opportunities for burns and fires is to follow the safety instructions that come with your blanket and to turn it off when not in use. The majority of fires are started by blankets that are old and overused, so replace your electric blanket at least every ten years or sooner if you notice any tears or frayed wires peeking through the cloth.

What to do in the Event of an Electric Blanket Fire

– Remove the blanket’s plug from the outlet if you can safely do so.
– Have everyone evacuate your home before trying to extinguish the fire.
– Call 9-1-1 immediately.
– Never use water on an electrical fire as it will only make the situation worse.
– Use a “C” fire extinguisher if you have one to put out the flame.
– Baking soda can smother small fires if dumped directly onto the flames.

When Accidents Happen, Paul Davis Helps Indiana Rebuild

Has your home or business been damaged due to fire, flooding or other mishaps? If you live in Northern Indiana, help is right around the corner: Paul Davis has been the Hoosier State’s leader in property damage mitigation, reconstruction and remodeling for decades. Visit our webpage for our full list of services to see how we can restore order to your home.