How to Detect Mold in Your Home and Safely Remove It

 

Everyone reacts to mold in their home differently. When some people breathe in spores, they might not show any signs of a response, while others will become seriously ill, especially those with asthma.

Symptoms include sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes and throat, dry skin and wheezing. If exposure persists, mold can lead to more serious illnesses, such as severe asthma attacks and fungal sinusitis.

No matter how you or your loved ones react to mold, it’s important to know about the fungus, how to identify signs it’s in your home and how to safely get rid of it.

Signs of Mold

Contrary to popular opinion, if you have mold in your home, it won’t always be visible to the naked eye. You can check the surface of your walls and ceilings, but there’s a good chance if you do have mold, it’s hiding behind the drywall.

A strong indication that you might have mold in your home, even if you can’t see it, is if there’s been moisture on your walls, ceiling or floor, especially for an extended period of time or if you live in a damp or humid area.

This can happen due to a leak in the roof or a muggy summer day.

Another option is to have the air quality in your home tested. There are tests you can buy online or at hardware stores.

If you do happen to see mold spores on your walls, chances are the growth is much worse on the inside.

If this is the case, it’s important to contact a professional such as Steven Mwaniki, an environmental specialist here at Paul Davis Restoration, to check the inside of your walls.

Removing Mold

In almost all cases of mold in your home, it is important to consult a trained professional immediately. While it might be tempting to simply wipe away mold spores, this can actually cause additional harm.

“It's not just spraying a chemical and using a rag to wipe it,” Mwaniki said. “Because when you do that, you have broken the shell of the mold. When you break the shell, that's when the spores release toxins.”

The same goes for trying to use an everyday vacuum cleaner to suck up mold. Chances are, your vacuum’s filter won’t be able to capture all of the mold spores due to how tiny they are.

Professionals will use special equipment designed to suck up mold and mold spores while wearing protective equipment to prevent them from breathing in an spores not captured

Preventing Mold

In addition to watching out for wet or damp areas of your home, the best thing you can do to prevent mold is purchase an air purifier for your home

“If every house had an air purifier, that would help so much. It's only $200 to $300 to buy a nice purifier that you can put it in your house,” said Mwaniki.

While $300 may sound expensive, Mwaniki says the investment is often worth it in the long run.

An air purifier can help mitigate mold and keep your family safe from mold-related illnesses. This will save you from expensive medical bills and costly home restoration projects.

Call in the Professional

Worried about mold in your home? Paul Davis can remove mold and help fix the damage it may have caused. Call 888-473-7669 24 hours a day.

Experts like Steven Mwaniki are available to talk you through your concerns, examine your home and find the best solution to keep you, your family and your home safe from toxic mold